CHARRED CAULIFLOWER SOUP
I love this soup because it's super easy and basic to make, has great flavor and it's gluten-free. It's also a great soup for freezing for a later date.
Technique tip: Cauliflower develops flavor as a caramelizes so be patient.
- 1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cut into bite-size florets
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives and sliced scallion green, to garnish
1. In a pot, start by sautéing the onion and garlic slowly in 3 tablespoons of olive oil until golden. Remove mixture from pot and set aside.
2. In the same pot add the remaining olive oil and vegan butter, heat oil over medium heat and add the cauliflower, season lightly with salt and caramelize until you get a beautiful golden-brown color. Reserve 4 of your nicest pieces for later.
3. Add onion mixture to cauliflower with the thyme, pinch of salt and pepper, and broth.
4. Bring the chunky soup to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, or until cauliflower is fork tender.
5. Once soup is done, stir in the coconut milk and remove from heat.
6. Let rest for 10 minutes to cool. Add butter, using a blender or Vitamix, puree the soup until desired consistency. Season with more salt and pepper as needed. Heat over low until warmed through as needed. This soup tastes great once it's properly seasoned!
7. Serve with reserved charred cauliflower pieces, drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, fresh cracked pepper, scallions and chives. For a little heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes.